Thursday 5 July 2012

LEBANON VALLEY ARABIC RESTAURANT,  LUTON

With the shutters not quite down, the front of Lebanon Valley in Bury Park has been looking unnervingly like a half-closed eye when driving past recently. Still half expecting it to be closed I was heartened that it was open for business when we ventured in recently at lunch-time.

The setting of the restaurant is cushioned, cosy and red, familiar to those of us who venture down to Edgeware Road from time to time.


We were greeted by a lovely waitress who generously offered us a seat anywhere in the (very empty) restaurant and promptly served us with complimentary bowls of hummus, salad and pitta. I was impressed with the offering until on closer inspection I discovered that the pitta tasted shop-bought and the black olives were the vile stuff straight out of a jar. 

The food we paid for was only somewhat better. My companion chose the Arabic salad as a starter and the Lebanon Valley mixed grill for mains. I took a few bites and they tasted fair, nothing special - and my friend agreed. I'm a big fan of falafels and was disappointed with the overcooked, tahini covered portion I was served. My main course of chicken shawerma was edible, if a little on the dry side. I'd like to point out that our mains were again served with pitta bread slightly warmed, possibly out of a packet.

My fresh juice tasted fine but my buddy grimaced when drinking the Fererro Rocher milkshake - it tasted like sweetened semi-skimmed milk.

I was tempted to try some baklava for dessert but decided against it - in fear of being disappointed on one of my favourite puds.

I know the place is newly opened but the staff seem a little too unsure with orders - coming back several times to ask what sauce we wanted on a starter or if we wanted onions in our salad?

There is a fair variety of food to try on the menu including - surprisingly -  spaghetti bolognese and lasagne. Arabic food with a touch of Italian I believe. On further enquiry I found out takeaway is available and the restaurant is closed on a Monday. Prices are reasonable, leaving not much change from £30 for lunch for two without dessert.

Overall view? Our waitress was lovely - but the food not so much. I hope the food improves because we could do with a few more non-chicken-and-chips places to eat in Bury Park. But for the moment it's still worth making that 30 minute journey to our favourite eateries on Edgeware Road.






No comments:

Post a Comment